Monday, September 7, 2009

THE PAST WEEK IN REVIEW






Today is Monday -- Labour Day in Canada.  Today was my day 2 of this current teaching week -- remember my week starts on Sunday and finishes on Thursday -- so my weekend is Friday and Saturday.

My classroom has come along nicely.  Still a few things needed, but I am feeling great about the set-up and the way it has all come together.  My class is quite good overall.  I have 19 students.   I am still getting into the groove of teaching.  The Ramadan schedule, with shortened periods and school days, plays havoc on a regular routine.  I have it figured out,  but the curriculum is still a slight challenge and will continue to be until I get it mastered and have a better grasp of how it all unfolds.  The math is killing me -- we started our new math program "Investigations" and our first chapter is "Arrays".  I don't think I have ever heard this terminology before of perhaps I have just wiped it out of my memory.  There have been a few spotty math lessons, but it is coming around slightly.  It is connected to multiplication of rows and columns, but everything is dragged out and made to be so much more complicated than need be.  Like everything else, it will all work itself out as I become more familiarized with the curriculum and general teaching strategies.

Busy days run into busy evenings and I pass out in bed and sleep soundly most nights.  The teacher bus currently leaves twice at the end of the day -- 2:15 and 3:30.  Yesterday, I stayed at school until 5:00 to allow myself more time to get some things accomplished.  I had to walk about 2 long blocks in the heat with my bags to catch a taxi, which in turn took me to my neighbourhood mall so I could do grocery shopping.  I was so tired last evening.

Many meetings during the week and most days just zip by.  This past weekend I had dinner at the Villa of another Windsor couple.  There were a few other people there as well.  We dined on delicious Lebanese food and listened to North American music.  It was great to meet some new people.  Because of this meeting, I was able to get a program to solve my blocked Skype problems.  My Skype is now up and running finally!!!  Friday I went to Marina Mall with Doug Bowsher and a new friend Emma.  We continued to buy things needed for school and my apartment.  That evening a group of 5 teachers went to the Sheraton Hotel to a pub called 3rd Avenue for 2 for 1 cocktails.  We enjoyed ourselves.  Saturday I treated myself to a pedicure at the "Violet Flower" and ordered some new reading glasses as my eyes have lost a bit more reading vision.  I spent the day on my own and enjoyed the freedom of it.  I came back to the apartment and was zonked due to the heat and being on the go.  I had a 2.5 hour nap.  I spent the evening Skyping the family and got ready for my school week to start the next day -- Sunday.

That's about it for this past week.  I'm looking into going to Muskat, Oman for the Eid vacation week in September.  I will keep you posted as these plans develop.  Until next week........

Loretta -- Goddess of the desert swells!!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Goddess Loretta -

    So good to hear that you are finding some enjoyable personal time along with your professional responsibilities. Still, your poor head must be exploding at the end of the day with all you must accomplish with the students.

    Continue to update us your adventues! I look forward to reading them.

    - Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Goddess Loretta,
    Love your blog! I look for it every other day.
    We are all so proud of you.I will be calling your folks tonight, can't wait to hear the stories they have. Keep it coming and be safe.
    Gail (your cuz)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Goddess of the Desert Swells - Sounds like you are enjoying yourself even in the heat! School sounds like it is testing your perimenopausal mind? If it makes you feel better, I cannot recall the Arrays either.
    Hopefully we will see a few exploits with your alter ego, something like; Abudabi Diva swirls up a sandstorm with the Sultan of the Dunes!! STAY TUNED~!!
    Miss you - GAYLE BFF

    ReplyDelete