Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Week in Review






I'm back with news and updates.  The past week has been a whirlwind of activity both in and outside the classroom.  Meetings, planning and trying to establish a daily routine for my students.    My class continues to flourish -- although some students, namely the boys, tried my patience and pushed their boundaries a little more this week.  I have to realize they are still just babies and it will take probably 6 months to see their development from primary to junior.  They are not yet independent and ask me questions constantly!

I have marking most nights -- mainly math sheets.  My schedule will change once Ramadan is officially over and then I can get into a more fluid groove relating to my schedule.   I generally give homework every night -- an extra math worksheet, cursive writing and 20 minutes of self-selected reading which they must log in their homework diary.  I try to give no homework on the weekend.

This coming week is our last week of Ramadan and then we get a whole week off on holiday for "Eid al-Fitr".  This marks the end of Ramadan with lots of people celebrating and traveling.  My friend Emma and myself are still looking into 4-5 days in Muskat, Oman, but will probably not make any final decisions until this week.  I plan to go to school as well for a couple of days to try and get things done that are outstanding.

This weekend I was out all 3 nights -- Thursday night to a Rugby event which I only went to check out all the guys -- unfortunately, it was lots of families and kids running around -- slim pickings.  We followed that by dropping by a pub called "Heroes".  Lots of beer drinking, smoking, swearing guys -- had a couple drinks and then called it a night.  Not really my crowd.

Last night we went to Le Meridien Hotel to dine at "Pappagalloes"  Italian restaurant.  Nice atmosphere -- extremely slow service.  We followed that with another pub called "Captain's Arms".  More beer-swilling, chain-smoking rough and ready men.  We had a couple drinks and again called it a night.  I am not sure if the pub scene is really for me.  Lots of smoke and small talk to no talk.  Just kind of standing around -- kind of boring!!

Tonight a group of us are treating ourselves to an Iftar dinner at the Emirates Palace Hotel.  At approx. $80.00 Canadian it is a beautiful buffet in a gorgeous tent.  Very "she-she" at a stunning hotel.  Should be a great experience.

The weekend is almost over and I still have marking and organization to do for school.  I have many pictures to post, but will have to figure out how to post on my blog.  Once I get the hang of it, I will post pictures regularly.  

Took my sheets and large towels to the Indian laundermat this weekend.  It cost me appox. $6.00 Can. to wash these items.  My washing machine is too small to handle these larger items so I will have them cleaned every couple weeks.  I have 2 sets of sheets and towels to get me by.  The laundermat is across the street from me.

I met a woman and her 15 year old daughter this past week in a ladies store for Muslim women that sells the long black abyias.  I went in to check it out and stayed 1 hour sitting down and chatting with these women.  I was asked by the girl's mother, who is 37 yrs., if I would tutor her to help her improve her English.  I gave them my phone number and got permission from the Director of my school the next day.  He has no problem with it, so I hope they call me after Ramadan and I can meet with her a couple hours per week and make some extra cash.

I met another woman in a store today and she gave me her card.  She wants me to proctor her exams while she completes her MBA.  She is in HR at an oil and gas company.  She had previously had a Canadian woman proctor for her, but she moved.  I told her I was a teacher and she asked me if I could take over as her proctor.  I gave her my phone number and she will call me. 

And so the networking begins and will continue as long as I am here.  You never know where these contacts with lead me!!!!

Not much more this week -- will keep you updated on the Iftar dinner tonight and my plans for Oman.  Be well, until next time......

Loretta -- Queen of the Sand Box!!!! 

4 comments:

  1. Love the update. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To post pictures on blogger:

    Go to new post, you will see an icon with blue skies and mountains (I think!), click on that and you have the option of uploading image from your computer or from the web, then click upload image and that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your updates, Loretta. I know this is the perfect job 4U! Now there is only one thing left..and I'm hoping you find it! Wishing you only the best, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhetta, I look forward to reading the updates every week. I didn't realize that when you moved half way across the world that you would be hanging out with a bunch of "beer-swilling, smokers". Glad to see that you are going to step it up a bit and have a nice dinner at a posh hotel!! Keep the networking going who knows you might come home with more $$$ than you think. Take care and talk to you soon, Linda. p.s. I always post my comment as anonymous because I am computer illiterate and don't know how to do it any other way.

    ReplyDelete