Monday, August 17, 2009

Let the Games Begin!!!!





Sunday, August 16, 2009 -- Today is the big day. I started the day with church with my mom and dad. Saying good-bye to my fabulous family was so bittersweet. Gayle picked me up and my brothers loaded all my "stuff". My gregarious clan hooted and waved from the front lawn as we drove away. We picked up Linda and Kathryn and headed to Detroit for a little pre-flight shopping. I was able to load up on cockroach traps and a few snacks for the long journey.

We arrive at the airport and I have Jason helping me with my bags. I ask him quietly how he would like a nice crisp $50.00 bill. He wants the dough!!! First of all, I get charged $150.00 for the extra bag which is 75 lbs. He then tells me that each overweight bag (approx. 100 lbs. each) will cost $150.00 per bag. Grand total of $450.00. He double checks with the big-bosses inside the airport and he delivers the good news that I will only be charged $250.00 total. He earns his $50.00 bill -- he is thrilled!! We take curbside pictures -- hooray, my bags are checked to Abu Dhabi.

Inside I get slightly detained at customs to get the lesson on how to put my laptop through the xray machine. The customs officer is so friendly I ask to take a picture with him. He has to get permission from his boss, who grants permission. I am then asked to fill out a customer comment card which I obligingly complete.

My adventure has officially begun with 2 pictures to be posted soon with the baggage guy and the customs guy. It is 4:15 p.m. and my flight to Amsterdam leaves at 5:40 p.m. Thank goodness I have several "rag mags" to read -- such a treat!! And so it begin.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the pics and the arrival story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rhetta! Where are you??

    Are you caught up on all the Kate + 8 and Jon's On a Date gossip? Gotta love the rags!

    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rhetta thinking about you and hope that all is well and exciting. We look forward to all the great stories, adventures and photos. Linda, Richard, Mitchel and Karly Girl.

    ReplyDelete