Monday, August 31, 2009

This past week --






I continued to set-up my classroom and apartment.  I was a bit taken aback by the fact that I had to scrounge around the school property (as we all did) for a computer table, file cabinet, bookshelf, teacher's chair and whatever scraps of well-worn, over-used and often damaged furniture I could find.  This surprised me completely, but I was a true scavenger and found most everything.  You had to put your requests in to the Assistant Principal, Mary Pittman-Jones, and then wait for inaction on the part of the people who were supposed to find you stuff, build you stuff or move stuff to your room.  I don't know how Mary does it -- dealing with Ramadan and the shutdown of workers' energy.  
I waited only so long and then took matters into my own hands.  I trolled the kindergarten area and found they were getting rid of lots of stuff so I spoke up and got what I needed.  The problem was that noone was reading my sticky notes on everything asking it be moved to my classroom. CAN YOU SAY "JARBEEG"!!!!!!!  You better be Jarbeeg here or just pack up and go home!!! Others complain a lot that they cannot get anything done -- they are correct and have every right to complain.  I complain and then try to do it myself and network the right people to help me.  It has worked quite well so far.

My classroom was loaded with 10-12 boxes that I had to unload and sort out.  I spent last week doing this plus setting up my classroom and attending meetings.  I shop most nights to get things I need for my apartment and my classroom.  I finally put up a new shower curtain and bath mat yesterday -- I had to get rid of the gross stuff that was in place for me.

Last week, I bought a TV and DVD for my bedroom so I can have some level of privacy from Heidi and Tony.  Speaking of which, Heidi has improved a bit, but she is hot and cold -- a bit moody -- Tony continues to be a great roommate.

I visited the Emirates Palace Hotel on the weekend -- this 7 star hotel is magnificant!!  There was a display showing a new development called Sadiyat Island.  There will be a branch of the Guggenheim museum, the Louvre from Paris, a cultural centre, a Maritime museum and other fantastic development.  The architecture is very cutting-edge and quite remarkable since this whole area was one large desert 30 years ago.  Sheik Zayed struck oil and had the foresight to bring modernity and development to the region.  His son, Sheik Khalifa is the president of all 7 emirates and he rules Abu Dhabi -- his brother, Sheik Muhommad rules Dubai.  The majority of the oil money is in Abu Dhabi and recently, Dubai has experienced a downturn in their economy and has been borrowing $ from Abu Dhabi.  

This past weekend I had only 1 day of fun (Friday) and I had dinner at my new friend, Bianca's apartment.  I take taxis everywhere and have ridden the bus just once so far.  The bus gives seating preference to women and this is visibly posted and enforced.  My friend Bianca has an amazing and beautiful apartment with no roommate.  She is so lucky.  She tried to work for AISA, but eventually took a position with Sheik Zayad Private Girl's Academy.  Her apartment is what I thought mine would look like and she loves her new and beautiful school.  She could not believe I had to hunt down my classroom furniture.  Her school is shiny and new and has a pool and she says it is fantastic.  She is so happy she accepted this teaching position.  More $, great apartment and school.  Her school seems very well equipped and so far she has no compaints.  She has been in training and does not start school until September 6.  She even got paid at the end of August for 2 weeks.  Our school is not paying us at the end of August for 2 weeks, instead we have to wait until the end of September for 6 weeks pay.  Many teachers are not happy with this because they need the 2 weeks pay now to survive on.

The 2nd day of my weekend, I went to school at 9:00 and stayed until 4:00 working on my classroom setup.  A 1 day weekend is not what I expect every weekend, but I felt better being on top of everything in my classroom.

I finally purchased a few things at IKEA for my apartment.  Half the battle has been looking for the things I need for the apartment.  Looking for different styles of items that will suit the space I have and, of course, checking prices at different stores.  I have no drawers of shelves in my bathroom and bought a white 3 shelf cabinet with an etched glass door.  I also bought a package of 4 funky mirrors to tape to my wall length-wise to make a full length mirror.

I have found a wardrobe and TV table at another store, but they are out of stock and I have to continually be checking to see if they get any stock in "coffee" colour -- not mahogony.  It is sometimes hard with the language barrier in the stores because all the sales people are Indian/Pakistani.

OK -- enough of this past week -- I will start a new post to talk about my first day today as an official teacher.  

3 comments:

  1. I must say that I'm surprised things are as spartan as they are in terms of furnishings, etc. only because you are working for an American school.

    Good for you to take the bull by the horns! And, you should teach a quickie course on networking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Sounds like a free for all Flea Market. But, as well know you are making do with everything that challenges you.

    Keep the posts coming, I check quite often.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi needs to get gone!!

    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete