Monday, August 24, 2009

Let's catch up on news and updates!!!

It's been sometime since my last post because I cannot get my internet up and running.  Don't worry, I have not forgotten all of you and run off with a wealthy shiek -- yet!!!

Let me jump back to the day of my travel and initial arrival into the United Arab Emirates.

FLIGHT  --  
My flight from Detroit to Amsterdam was quit peaceful.  I had a window seat and no one sitting next to me -- fabulous!  I watched 2 movies and did light reading.  Upon arrival into Amsterdam, I made my way to the gate and waited about 2 hours before boarding for Abu Dhabi.  The flight to Abu Dhabi was quite full and I was rather restless due to the close quarters.  Watched another movie and continued reading all my rag-mags.  Hollywood gossip magazines are perfect "no-brainer" reading for such a flight.  I was glad to arrive and stretch my legs.

ABU DHABI FIRST IMPRESSIONS --  
The mosaic tile work in the airport was the same as it was 26 years ago when I landed here on my way to Sri Lanka.  My carry-on bag was soooooooo heavy and my other bags were, as you know, over the top as far as their weight.  It was fairly  quick to clear customs as I had my work visa already prepared and waiting for me.  You have to have an eye scan before you enter the country.  There was a large group of new teachers arriving (I think around 22 of us) and the AISA administration staff (principals, etc.) were there to greet us.  Pretty hassle free -- thank goodness!!

THE HEAT --  
Can you say "hotter than hades"!!!!  When I left the airport, I had to gasp for air.  It was like a wave of heat hitting me like a brick wall.  Asthma sufferers would die here.  I regulated my breathing and we were all taken to small buses to transport us to our apartments.  I paid a luggage attendant to load my bags onto a trolley and the male teachers loaded them onto the bus -- they all commented on the weight. 

MY APARTMENT --   
 There are several different apartment buildings that the teachers are living in.  My particular apartment building is called "Pioneer" and there are several teachers in this particular building.  It is located in a great part of the city called "Khalidiyah".  There is a mall (Khalidiyah Mall) located behind my building -- about a 2 minute walk -- how lucky was that!!!!!  I often walk over to the mall to get all my supplies, groceries and stuff for my apartment -- it is really convenient.  You get accustomed to the heat and you are actually in the heat infrequently -- everything is air-conditioned very cool -- I love that!
My first night in, I was a bit disappointed with the apartment.  It is spacious, but the furnishings were rather "university student" IKEA looking.   I have since grown accustomed to it and find it quite comfortable.  My bedroom is roomy and I have my own bath with a stall shower. The baths tend to get a bit moldy due to the heat and humidity, but nothing drastic. 

MY ROOMMATES (2 of them) --  
My roommate, Heidi Hawkins, is a very outspoken and a "tell-it-like-it-is" kind of gal.  She is extremely articulate and bright, but a little aggressive in her tone and delivery.  She comes with a fiance who also lives with us.  Since I do not want to start off on the wrong foot and want to be flexible, I told them I did not have a problem with the arrangement.  The truth of the matter is that I quite like him.  His name is Tony and he is a British engineer.  He is very pleasant and respectful in his exchanges with me.  He is warm and very welcoming towards me.  He is the sensitive warmth that buffers his other half -- I think my living arrangements will be more palatable with him around to tone down Heidi.  That being said, she does have her moments of warmth and welcome -- moments.

MY SCHOOL -- THE AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF ABU DHABI --  (AISA) as it is known is about 14 years old.  It is a tad rundown, in comparison to some of the new, shiny schools, but I like it.  My classroom is a bit small, but I will make do.  The director of the school, Gareth Jones, is a great man and his wife, Mary Pittman-Jones is the assistant principal for the elementary grades.  She is very approachable and warm.  On the other hand, the elementary principal, Dr. Robert Evans, is a young American with a PhD in educational administration.  He is direct and not warm and fuzzy at all.  He reminds me of a Republican General with his direct delivery and fast talking.  I think I will like him.  Apparantly he has a Republican tatoo on his leg???  I have not seen it, but heard -- should be interesting.  The school is undergoing construction of a new elementary gym -- they already have a secondary gym.  They are also constructing a new canteen (cafateria).  Construction moves very slowly as do many things in this country.  All the work is done by Indian and Pakistani labourers and there is a definite language barrier with them.  

THE SHOPPING --  
They love their malls!!!  The main mall is called "Marina Mall" and it is huge and beautiful.  Emirati love to shop and just hang out at the malls because it is cool and something to do.   I shop at a store called LuLu's which is like a Walmart and Zehrs combined.  It is 2 floors and has most things you need.  Another similar store is called "Carrfour" and right next store to this is IKEA.  Most grocery items are written in Arabic and English.  I have found virtually everything I need except a curling iron.  I brought a brand new one from home and it will not work here because the voltage is 220 vs. our Canadian voltage of 120.  A new curling iron will cost me approx. 280 dirhams which is about $95.00 dollars!!!  Everyone here uses a straightener for their hair so curling irons are a novelty item and more expensive.  I am still setting up my space in the apartment, which is mostly my bedroom.  I will buy a tv and a dvd player for my bedroom so I can have privacy from Heidi and Tony.  I really don't mind at all.

THE PEOPLE --
I have met many new people from everywhere.  There is a good showing of Canadians and Americans, but we also have Australians (Aussies), New Zealanders (Kiwis) and South Africans.  There are people from all over the world here and my fellow teachers are very experienced travellers who have been to so many places.  A few of them have taught in China, England, South Korea, etc.  Most are experienced teachers as well.  The age is generally younger than myself -- around 25-30 years. -- but there are also some 40 and 50 something age group.  Everyone is friendly on a superficial level so far.  It will take some time to really get to know people and make true friends.

RAMADAN -- 
"Ramadan Kareem" is the greeting of good wishes to those celebrating Ramadan.  The fast begins at sunrise with the first call to prayer.  No food or drink all day until the sun sets and the call to prayer signals you can break the fast.  It is heard across the city over the prayer loudspeakers.  At that time, everyone has an "iftar" meal which breaks the fast and they load up on food and drink.  They reverse their schedules, kind of like being on a midnight shift.  Day becomes night and night becomes day due to the obligatory fast and prayer.  We will have a special Ramadan school schedule and some of our students may not even show up right away.   We are not permitted to eat or drink publicly during this month -- no public water bottles.  You are also not allowed to chew gum or listen to loud music.  You are asked to dress respectfully with your shoulders covered, but not your entire arm.  I find it all very fascinating and hope to attend an iftar meal during the month.

SCHOOL CURRICULUM --
The curriculum is very interesting, but somewhat complicated.  I am not thinking about it just yet as I am trying to set-up my classroom and get everything ready for an Open House we are having this Thursday.  I will have 19 students and some may come and go throughout the year.  The International Baccelaureate program for elementary school is called "Primary Years Program".  There are strict guidelines of material to cover and the philosophy is very "hands-on" for the students.  There are ongoing meetings to discuss curriculum guidelines and smaller team meetings with the 5 grade 4 teachers will happen regularly to plan units of learning and methods of teaching.  You can do your own thing within the units of learning so there is an element of freedom and creativity for the teacher.

A FAMILIAR FACE FROM WINDSOR --
I had the pleasure of being toured around Abu Dhabi by Doug Bowsher, a native of South Windsor who even went to elementary school, St. Hubert, with my sister Mary Belle.  Such a small world.  He was an excellent tour guide showing me the Emirates Palace, the beach, his school, Abu Dhabi University, which is beautiful, etc.  He even allowed me to drag him to the  Marina Mall and shopped with me to help set me up.  Such a patient man -- he shopped with me for hours!!!!  He is really an excellent resource helping me figure things out and get my footing.

OK -- that is quite an update, I will try to post each week with news and continued information about my life in Abu Dhabi.  I will also try to email some of you directly.  So sorry to have not responded to many of you, but my computer troubles have interfered with communication.




6 comments:

  1. So exciting to read about your early adventures. I'm sure that once you get going things will not be quite as novel. I'm also glad that you have no problem with the fiance but I think that is something I would have liked to know ahead of time!

    Funny about the curling iron--too bad we didnt' know because you can get the dual voltage ones here (something to get on a visit home).

    Take care of yourself and I'm looking forward to your new and upcoming posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhetta, this is just the beginning of a fantastic year for you. It sounds good so far and I hope it only gets better and better.

    The kids are going to love you! (and all your supplies) Are you sorry you brought so many clothes now since there is so much shopping to be done?

    I really enjoyed reading the postings - the blog is fantastic and yes you will have to figure out how to post pictures !!

    hope to talk to you soon on Skype !

    Miss you
    Pammy
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not make it through the first day of Ramadan, I am certain of it. They would find the Good and Plenties in my pocket and bust me.

    Vote Heidi off the island right now and keep that Tony, if only for the accent.

    I was worried about you when there was no communication. I almost called Aunt Sarah. I'm impatient like that. It is a relief to read that you are settling in just fine. Ellen thinks you are beyond awesome to go out and live this adventure. I do, too.

    Really looking forward to hear how you set up your classroom and run your classes. The kids are just going to love you, Loretta, with your big smile and pretty bright eyes. They will be lucky to have you as their teacher. You are a very warm person, and they will sense that and revel in it.

    How nice the administrators are to have placed you in the building in front of the shopping mall. Have you met before??

    More, more updates!

    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loretta, I am so happy you reached your destination safely. I enjoyed your blog and it sounds so exciting. I am happy you have lots of people around you especially the fellow from Windsor. It is always good to have someone you can talk too. Your roommate is kinda like you. Says it how it is.

    I can imagine the heat. Valerie and I just returned from Las Vegas and it was over 100 every day. I found that very hot. I did some gambling and broke even.

    We will miss you so much at book club but I will be looking forward to your blog. I am happy the mall is so close to you. There is always shopping when you aren't busy but I don't imagine you will have a lot of free time once you start teaching.

    Good luck on your first day.

    Sharon (your book club buddy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Loretta
    What an interesting read and very entertaining as well. You are quite a writer. Can't wait to read more of your posts!
    You have a great attitude. I hope each day brings you some new and wonderful adventure.
    We finally received our contacts last week. Connie has a Consecutive Group and I have a Concurrent Group this year so things will be a little different for us.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am soon going to be moving to Abu Dhabi myself and I am finding blogs like yours very interesting and helpful.

    ReplyDelete